How to Apply for Jobs
Faculty and staff career opportunities at Columbia University are posted online. You apply and track applications for open positions using our online job boards. Follow the instructions to search and apply for jobs, create a profile, and manage your application.
Please note: You must meet all minimum requirements listed, fill out all requested information and attach documents for a submission to be complete.
For additional job search assistance, contact the Columbia Employment Information Center.
Applying for Jobs Online
- You can search current openings for faculty and instructional positions at all Columbia University campus locations.
2. Create a Profile
- If you wish to apply for a position, first you must create a profile
- Click on "Create Account"
- Set up a username and password
- Save time and upload your resume to pre-fill sections of your application (optional)
- Enter your master application profile information
Note: Be sure to write down your username and password for future reference. Your master application/applicant profile includes a summary of your employment history; please include current contact information with you when you create your master application/applicant profile. This process takes approximately 20 to 40 minutes to complete.
Your master application/applicant profile will be used to apply for any job. No need to re-enter personal information each time you apply.
You will also have the opportunity later to attach your resume/curriculum vitae when you apply for a position.
3. Search for Jobs
- Select "Search Jobs" and look for jobs using the criteria filters.
- Click "Search"
- If you wish to apply for a job, click "Apply for this job."
- Follow the instructions and fill out all fields.
- You must meet all minimum stated qualifications.
- This process takes approximately 5 to 10 minutes each time you apply.
- Look for the prompt to upload your curriculum vitae/cover letter.
5. Using the Application System
- You will not be able to access the system in a different window than the one used when you first entered the site without first logging out, so make sure to log out every time you leave the site.
- You will be able to log in again using your username and password.
- To keep your personal data safe, the system will log you out automatically if there is no activity for 15 minutes.
6. Tracking Applications
- Use your username and password to log on and check the status of all your applications or to withdraw an application.
- You can update your master profile or cv/cover letter at any time.
Columbia University has upgraded its administrative hiring system. Applicants who created a Master Application prior to April 3, 2019 in our old system will need to fill in all their information when first applying for a job in the new system.
1. Search for Jobs
- Visit the Career Opportunities page for Administrative or Support Staff positions.
- You can search current openings for regular full-time or part-time, non-instructional positions at all Columbia University campus locations.
- Use the search filters on the right to narrow your search.
- Click on the Position title to see the full description.
- If you wish to apply for a job, click "Apply" when viewing the posting.
- You must meet all minimum stated qualifications.
- Click to read the Privacy Statement and then select the checkbox to confirm you have read it. The "Next" button will be disabled until you have indicated your acceptance.
- Enter your e-mail address. This address will be used throughout the application process for communication between you and the recruitment team, as well as for system-generated reminders and alerts.
Note: If you have previously applied using the same email address, you will be presented with a screen asking you to enter your password.
- Click "Next."
- The Save time on your application screen displays; the system allows you to upload a resume from a file on your computer or from a Dropbox or Google Drive account. You can also fill in some of the application using your Facebook profile if you choose.
- By uploading your resume or profile, you will save time filling out the application. Your application will prepopulate with the information from your resume or Facebook profie.
- Follow the instructions and fill out all fields. This process takes approximately five to 10 minutes.
Note: If this is your first time completing an application, you will be asked to create a password. Be sure to write down the email address and password since you will need this later to be able to view the status of your application and update your profile.
- Once you have completed all the application form questions, you will have the opportunity to preview your application answers before submitting.
- Click "Submit Application."
- Once submitted, click "Close Window" and return to the Career Opportunities page.
3. Applicant Profile
- When you apply for a job, an applicant profile is created.
- The profile contains the details from your application--including contact information, education and employment. This can be updated at any time.
- This applicant profile can then be used to apply to other jobs without having to enter all of your personal information again.
4. Tracking Applications in the Applicant Portal
- Use your username and password to log into the Applicant Portal to check the status of all your applications, update your profile, add references or withdraw an application.
- You can update your resume in the Applicant Portal as well.
The Center helps in your job search by providing support using Columbia's online application systems, one-on-one consultations, job preparedness workshops and other applicant trainings.
3180 Broadway (near 125th Street)
Open Monday - Friday, 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Note: Please arrive prior to 4:00 p.m. if you wish to complete an online application.
650 West 168th Street, Room 101
Open Monday - Friday, 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. except Wednesday, open 9:00 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.